AT STAR BOXING'S
"SLUGFEST AT THE SUN" JUNE 30 TH AT MOHEGAN SUN
In the main event of Joe
DeGuardia's Star Boxing "SLUGFEST at the SUN" onJune 30th, JOE "THE BEAST" SMITH JR. (23-2
19KO's) will make his extremely anticipated return to the ring at the Mohegan
Embracing the moniker the "Common Man," Local 66
Laborers Construction Union worker, Smith Jr., exploded onto the national
boxing scene beginning in 2016. Backed by his union brothers, Smith Jr. would
wield a sledgehammer by day and lace up his gloves to train by night. His work
ethic and humble personality gravitated fans towards him, as he quickly became
the national champion of the working man.
2016 was truly the year of "THE BEAST," as Smith Jr.
took the boxing world by storm. In June, Smith Jr. marched into Chicago, the
hometown of, at the time, #2 world rated light heavyweight contender ANDRZEJ FONFARA (then 28-4
16KO's). Pre-fight numbers had Smith Jr. as a 16-1 underdog against the mighty
Pole. However, just into the first
round Smith Jr. threw a right hand that caught everyone in the IUC Pavilion by
surprise, dropping Fonfara. Smelling blood in the water, Smith Jr. did not give
Fonfara any time to breath, smothering him with a flurry of punches, dropping
him for the second time in just over 2 minutes, earning the WBC International
Light Heavyweight title, putting his name on the map in the stacked division.
Fast forward to December of 2016, and "THE BEAST" was
at it again, this time at the Fabulous Forum in California, on HBO, taking on
boxing legend and former world champion, in his final fight, BERNARD "THE EXECUTIONER" HOPKINS(then
55-7 32KO's). At the final press conference, Hopkins (then 55-7 32KO's)
promised that he would give Smith Jr. the boxing lesson he needed. However the
next night, Hopkins found himself
staring at the ceiling of the Forum, as he had been viciously beaten out of the
ring with a five punch combination late in the 8thof the scheduled
10 rounds. Smith Jr. became the first ever boxer to knock out the legend
In his return to The Forum in July of 2017, Smith Jr. took on
contenderSULLIVAN BARRERA (then
19-1 14KO's). After a brutal right hand that hit Barrera flush on the forehead,
sending him to the canvas, Smith Jr. had his jaw broken late in the first
round. "THE BEAST" went on to grit through the full fight
(10 rds) to the judge's decision, broken jaw and all, impressing fans yet
again, this time for his will and determination.
After having his jaw wired shut for over six months, on June
30 th, Joe Smith Jr. returns to the ring at the historic
Mohegan Sun Arena, focused on climbing the ladder, back to Light Heavyweight
JOE SMITH JR. had this to say about his return,
"I cannot wait to get back in the ring on June 30th. I have
been looking forward to this day since I was told I needed surgery. I plan on
showing why I am still one of the best in the Light Heavyweight division."
JOE DEGUARDIA, CEO and President of Star Boxing
said this, "Joe Smith Jr. turned the boxing world on its head in his wins
against Fonfara and Hopkins. I believe he is the hardest hitting light
heavyweight, and he proves it every time he is in the ring. I am very excited
to have him back on June 30 th at the beautiful Mohegan
KALI REIS COMING OFF HISTORIC BOUT AS FIRST WOMEN'S
TELEVISED BOUT ON HBO AGAINST CECILIA BRAEKHUS
STAR BOXING'S "SLUGFEST at the SUN" on JUNE
30th at Mohegan Sun has gone from a stellar card, to
unbelievable. Star Boxing thrilled fans when it announced the long
anticipated return of the "Common Man," light heavyweight
sensation JOE SMITH JR. (23-2 18KO's). Today, Star Boxing
formally announced that former WBC Women's World Champion, KALI "KO MEQUINONOAG"
REIS (13-7 4KO's) will be fighting as the co-feature bout on June 30thagainst SZILVIA
SZABADOS (17-11 8KO'S) of Hungary.
KALI REIS is coming off her historic bout with
undisputed women's champion CECILIA BRAEKHUS, in the first ever women's bout
televised on HBO. Reis and Braekhus put on brilliant performance on the
undercard of the GGG-Martirosyan card in California.
The woman's fight was a memorable one that saw great action from start to
finish. Reis used a heavy right hand to drop Braekhus in the seventh round and
hurt her for a second time in the ninth round, becoming the first women to ever
knockdown the champion Braekhus in her professional career. The decision
was read over a sea of boo's from the crowd as Braekhus escaped the power of
Reis and retained her titles in a decision win.
Kali is thrilled to be fighting at Mohegan Sun on June
30th. The fans are equally excited as Kali brings thrilling inside
the ring action and a unique and entertaining ring walk, carrying her native
warrior pride into the ring, as she does every fight with a centuries' old
Native American prayer dance. She will have her New England
fan base behind her as she searches for another win in her professional career
as she chases the rematch that Braekhus promised the fans after their title
fight just over a month ago.
KALI REIS had these comments about returning to Mohegan
Sun, "I am so excited to be back "home" at Mohegan Sun June
30th! Star Boxing always has action packed fights lighting up this
beautiful area. Joe DeGuardia is keeping me very productive since we
signed with him back in November. I am so pleased with the decision
myself and manager Brian made to sign with him and Star Boxing. Fans can
also expect to see an even more determined, skilled, hungry, evolving WARRIOR
in there! The fight on HBO May 5 with Braekhus was such a learning
experience and I am grateful for making history in not only women's boxing but
my own personal journey as well. I'm back and promise to put on one
heck of a show!"
Edwin Soto returns to Foxwoods following three-year layoff
to face dangerous Salim Larbi in June 2nd pro-am headliner
MASHANTUCKET, Conn. (Thursday,
May 24th, 2018) -- Fresh off the biggest win of his career, New Haven,
Conn., junior middleweight Edwin Soto returns to his home state for
the first time in more than three years to face his toughest opponent
Soto (12-2-2, 5 KOs) headlines
the Saturday, June 2nd, 2018 pro-am boxing event promoted by CES
Boxing at Foxwoods Resort Casino's iconic Fox Theater in an eight-round
regional showdown against 31-fight vet Salim Larbi (20-9-2, 7 KOs) of
The eight-round Soto-Larbi
showcase is one of seven professional bouts on a stacked lineup also featuring
the official launch of Jimmy Burchfield's USA Amateur Boxing
Tournament with six exciting amateur bouts on the preliminary card.
The amateur bouts begin at with the professional main card
"This is an exciting night
of amateur and professional boxing and we're proud to bring this event to the
beautiful Foxwoods Resort Casino," CES Boxing president Jimmy
Burchfield Sr. said. "The young, hungry amateurs you see on June 2nd will
one day grace that same stage as professionals. It's honor to help them along
their paths to world championship glory.
"Between Edwin Soto, a
fighter we have so much history with, Jimmy Williams and the
always-entertaining Juiseppe Cusumano, our pro lineup is loaded with the area's
most accomplished veterans. Every fight is a war from start to finish."
Tickets for the June 2nd event,
titled "The Future Is Now," are priced at $37, $47, $77 and $157
(VIP) and can be purchased online at www.cesboxing.com, www.foxwoods.com, or www.ticketmaster.com; by phone at 401-724-2253 or
800-200-2882 or at the Fox Theater Box Office.
Soto steps back into the ring for
the second time in four months after shocking Ray Oliveira
Jr. of New Bedford, Mass.,
in a second-round knockout win in Rhode Island
on Feb. 23rd.
Oliveira Jr. entered the bout 8-1
while Soto had only fought once since 2015, but the Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
native rocked Oliveira Jr. in the opening round and finished him for good in
the second, punctuating the most impressive win of his career to capture the
vacant WBU Canadian American Mexican title.
The Foxwoods stage is nothing new
to Soto. The 27-year-old earned his third and fifth professional wins at the
Fox Theater under the promotional guidance of CES Boxing and raced out to a
9-0-2 record before suffering his first career loss in October of 2013. After
beating Shakha Moore in an intrastate showdown in 2015, Soto took two
years off to refocus and returned triumphantly in October of 2017 with a win
over Anthony Everett in Massachusetts.
Born in Nord,
France, the 31-year-old
Larbi has faced the best of the best in the junior middleweight division. The
record of his last four opponents is an impressive 60-1, including 2012 Olympic
silver medalist Esquiva Falcao and Boston's Mark
DeLuca. The well-traveled 5-foot-10 junior middleweight now fights out of New
York under the promotional guidance of Ronson Frank's
Uprising Promotions. Over the past six years, Larbi has fought in France,
Germany and the
Also returning June 2nd, New
Haven's Jimmy Williams (14-1-1, 5 KOs) faces Jose Antonio
Abreu (13-4, 8 KOs) of the Dominican Republic in a six-round junior
middleweight bout and Sicilian heavyweight Juiseppe Cusumano (15-1,
13 KOs) put his 13-fight win streak on the line in a six-round bout against
Michigan's Robert Simms (6-2, 3 KOs).